2.13.2016

Minority

I used to live as a majority back home, and being a majority gave me a lot of privileges. Besides, it's home, so I basically know every corner by heart. Ever since I came here, I become the minority. There's also a privelege being a minority, like you obviously stand out among of all people (which is a good thing if you're that type of person who likes to stand out).

Being a Muslim and wearing hijab in here definitely make me stand out, for real. But I'm not that type of person who likes to stand out in public. A lot of curious eyes always following me everywhere. Especially in the head part. Hahaha. At first it bothered me, because I wasn't used to such attention. Back home there are a lot of women wearing hijab, but here? Even both of my hands have a lot more numbers than women wearing hijab in here.

Also, I find it is really hard to find halal foods. So when I'm outside and have to eat something, I'd rather just eat in a restaurant which served a lot varieties of chicken (which is also rare). But better, I'd bring my own food. It's always safer.

But that's all fine though, I'm getting used to it, and I'm not complaining, I am merely sharing. 

I know it's not always easy stepping out of your comfort zone (depends on how you see it), but you get to learn a lot of new things which also gain you more knowledge, and the best part is you'll have more experience. It's exciting right?

My mantra:
"Experience matters."

And being a minority will teach you the struggle to find things that always seem to just one house away, so when you going back home, you'll appreciate things that you used to take for granted even more. Told you, there's always new things to learn.

In the end, it's all worth it.
:)

No comments:

Post a Comment